Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Being a nurse is something I have wanted to do ever since I was a little girl. I've never questioned it, I just knew it was the right profession for me. Before I started nursing school I wanted to be a nurse because I liked the medical part of it. I liked the thought of being able to start IV's,pull central lines, the blood and guts. My very first semester a teacher told our class something I will never forget. Nurses are not medical people. We are health care people. And that's what the nurse is there for. We care for people. Sure the medical stuff is in there somewhere. It has to be to get patients well. But the role of the nurse is to care for people. I like getting to do skills like starting IV's,pulling central lines, and giving shots. But it isn't those skills that will make me a good nurse. It's caring and compassion for the patients I take care of that will make me a good nurse. I learned a few weeks ago that it is the small things I can do as a student that can really make a difference in my patients day. I love to take care of people. It kills my soul to hear people say "I want to be a nurse because they make a lot of money." You should never get into a profession because of how much money you will make. Specially with nursing. If you don't enjoy your job you won't be a good nurse. Ok there's my rant on that!
Today I have a half day of clinical.  We don't get to meet our patient we just get our patient assignment.  Then I get to come home and stay up all night working on my care plan and looking up all the medications I will give at my full day of clinical tomorrow.  I can't wait to be a nurse.  But I won't miss nursing school!


1 comment:

  1. Love your post! I am and L&D RN and LOVE my job! Your cartoon made me laugh, partly because that's what I sometimes do to my students HA! Good luck with school and hope you don't mind a new follower! Us L&D (now and future) nurses stick together :)
    -Ashley-

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!