Thursday, November 11, 2010

Thank you!

Well it is still Veterans Day so first and foremost I would like to say thank you to all the men and women who are serving or have served our country. I really appreciate what you do to keep our country free and safe. My grand father was a veteran of the Korean war, I never met him but I'm sure he would have had some amazing stories!


I had clinical today and it was one of the best I have had yet.  I went into nursing wanting to make a difference in people's lives.  It caught me off guard when a patient made a difference in mine.  My patient today was diagnosed with a disease that will leave them unable to control their voluntary muscles.  They won't even be able to open their eyes.  They will however remain fully aware and mentally competent.  This person loves to travel and to read.  I spent most of my day just talking to them, it was amazing the places they had been.  This patient taught me the most valuable lesson I have had in a long time.  They said "Do what you want to do now, because tomorrow you may not be able to."  This patient's disease will make it impossible to do the things they love.  But they had such a positive outlook on life.  They also said "What does Bill Gates do in the morning?  Whatever he wants to he's the richest man on Earth.  What do I do in the morning?  Whatever I want to.  I'm the richest man on Earth."  They were rich without money.  This patient truly touched my heart and I can honestly say I will never forget them.  I believe God puts people in our lives for a reason.  There was a reason I had that patient today and I pray that he enjoyed my company as much as I enjoyed theirs!
  *If you think this is about you it is not.  This story does not contain any identifying information and therefore does not violate HIPPA!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!